Links to Other Information

Monday, August 5, 2013

Tuesday, August 6 Guangzhou

Tuesday August 6

Today is a free day for us so we decided to have breakfast and then we all went down to the pool.  This was Andrew, myself, and Kailyn's first time in a pool here in China.  I simply held Kailyn as I normally do and she was amused as normal just watching the boys be their crazy, fun, selves.  I figured she would like it because she likes the bath so much.  Then we all got out to get a snack.  But then when everyone else but she and I were back in the pool, she wanted back in but I couldn't get her to hand me her cookie in order to do so.  This hotel pool has strict cleanliness requirements, and there was a hotel  worker on duty at the pool, so I didn't think letting her in with it was a good idea- not that so think it would be a good idea anyway.  So the little stinker chose to hold her slobbery bite of cookie rather than get back in the pool.  

Also today, we made a step of progress with teeth brushing.  Throughout this trip, I have basically just been giving her the Little Pony toothbrush and training toothpaste we brought her when I am brushing my teeth or the boys teeth so that she can watch, and she has just been gnawing on hers.  I hope she doesn't wind up with cavities, but at least they are just baby teeth.  But today she actually let me brush a couple of strokes on each side of her bottom teeth- that's it- but that's progress.  As I wrote yesterday, I believe the key in all these little practical life skills is going to be lots of praise and affirmation.  She really seems to like when she knows that she is doing the same things we are.  I think that is very good as well- I hope it will make her feel a part of our family:)

Kailyn's personality reminds me so much of my older son Joseph's when he's was little in a lot of ways.  She is obviously smart- and along with that she has a strong spirit.  Like Joseph, he was a sweet and fun loving little guy, but he came into the world with his own agenda and knew how to communicate that to mom and dad the day we brought him home.  After swimming, I knew Kailyn would be ready for her rice cereal and a nap, so we got dry and I started making hers.  Well, she spotted the bottle of apple juice I had made for her at breakfast this morning, and she wanted it.  Well, up till today, she has done well rationing the juice throughout the day with meals and snacks, but putting this together with a similar episode we had yesterday over a banana, I think she is starting to form some food preferences- which is fine.  But today she refused to eat any of her cereal, because she had her juice, so I thought I'd try to place it out of sight.  Didn't work. ( never worked on Joseph either.  He never could be distracted from something he already had his mind set on).  She let me have it big time!  So since we are still in a phase where we really just need to establish bonding and not so much discipline ( except of course in cases that could be dangerous), I gave in and she drank every last drop of juice and ate none of her cereal.  But I am making a mental note that when we get home, at least until we get to where we know she can understand us more, I think it will be wise to not make a habit of letting her go into the pantry when we are getting out food.  She will be smart enough to remember where her favorite snacks are kept and and throw fits when she can't get just eat those instead of healthy meals whenever she wants.  That will hopefully allow a peaceful eating environment until we establish more trust with her.  I am not saying she can't have her own security container of food- but I can control what goes into that.   
Well, last night was another good night for Kailyn.  She slept in the bed with me, and I think this is just what she needs to feel secure right now- although she did do alright at the other hotel when we had the real baby bed that sat high enough where she could see me sleeping next to her.  So that is what we'll try again when we get home.  Every night we've had her, she stirs lightly through the night, and fusses until I touch her and she hears my voice.  Then if she wakens and is facing the opposite direction where she can't see me, she screams-Especially if I have gotten up earlier than everyone else to try to get a shower in time to make an appointment that day.  So I know we have lots of work to do to help her feel secure that we aren't going to leave her.   I am hoping that just the consistency of being at home every day with a steady routine will help a lot with this.  Right now, things are just a little crazy with 4 people living in a hotel room.  

So anyway, as far as how I am doing, I am really enjoying this trip, but I can see why everyone says that the jet lag is so much worse going home than coming to China.  I might have had one night of solid sleep since we've been here.  

Well, we are getting to know Kailyn more and more, and I have learned from having Joseph, that having a strong spirit can be a gift.  If we can show her God's love and steer that will in the right direction, God can use that for her good and for His glory.

There is a couple of other tidbits that I want to record as well.  This info came straight from out guide:

I was asking her if there were any Christians in the area (Nanchang).  She told me that there was buddhism, and that Christian religion is rare in China, but  "The government (Chinese) encourages us to believe nothing.  They want us to believe communism.". 

She also explained the current family planning policy.  One child policy was established in1982.  Then, it was enforced strictly.  Now, if you were an only child of your parents, and you have a girl first, you can wait four years and try one more time to have a boy.  But if you have a boy first, that is all you can have.  But she did say that it is hard for the government to control all families- unless you are employed by the government- which is a lot here.  Farming families in rural areas do tend to have more children and are not as easy to control.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment