Links to Other Information

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Guangzhou August 4-5

Sunday, August 4

Today was our first full day here in Guangzhou.  Andrew woke up today not feeling well and we believe it must be the same virus that both Kailyn and David had.  Thankfully it lasts less than 24 hours.  This morning the boys, Kailyn, Aunt Sherry, myself, and Sara went to a public park here in Guangzhou.  It was pretty ( lots of beautiful Oak trees here in Guangzhou) but very crowded today because of it being a weekend.  The boys were in heaven.  It had peddle boats, a garden, and a few kiddie amusement park rides.  I let the boys ride the kiddie roller coaster and the bungee bouncer.  Then this afternoon Sara, Kailyn and I had to make (hopefully) our last run to a Walmart style store to get enough diapers, formula, and rice cereal to finish the trip.  While we did that, Sherry and the boys went to the pool to have some fun.

This will have to be short as Kailyn is not asleep right now.  Last night was the second worst night of sleep I've had (the worst was the first night we had her because she threw up in the middle of the night.) The hotel we are in now gave us a pack in play for a baby bed, so even though I slept by her, when she would wake in the night she was so low to the ground that she couldn't see me, so eventually I had to put her in the bed with David and I.  Three people in a bed adds up to about no sleep for me.  So today we had the hotel exchange her pack in play for an extra single bed so that Kailyn and I can share a double together.  I think she'll sleep so much better that way.  She still won't be covered up to sleep, and Sherry mentioned that likely she hasn't had air conditioning before, so blankets may have just never been necessary.

This little angel is a joy.  But I will say I am getting quite a work out carrying her around.  She wouldn't have anything to do with the Ergo we brought, and  along with food- I am the only one/ object that comforts her.  She cares nothing for blankets or stuffed animals- except to hurl across the room.  I am trying to start doing some things to maybe encourage a little attachment to a luvy.  Eventually, that will be a good thing for her.  If you are considering international adoption, I would highly recommend the book- Parenting your Internationally Adopted Child by Patty Cogen.  We are seeing so many of the issues ( though nothing extreme) that this book addresses.  Another thing we are dealing with is that if anyone is eating in front of her- even when she has been fed to the point of rejecting food- she fusses if you don't share.  The boys were having their lunch today and before that she had just started refusing my offers for bites, but when she couldn't have their peanut butter crackers and she almost threw a fit.  The other thing is, every moment she is awake, she demands ALL of your attention- either by fussing (she accompanies me even to the bathroom and waits outside the shower door in the mornings) or by doing all of the cute little playful things ( irresistible) that we've done together before.  The only thing is ( the book calls this behavior the dizzy performer) she won't stop "performing" until she has your full attention at all times)  We are certainly glad to give her lots!  I am not saying it is a bad thing,  in fact, i'd rather her want our attention, we are really just amazed right now that we've had her for such a short period of time and she is interacting so well.  But at some point, i will have to do things like laundry, cleaning, cooking, and we wont be able to be physically glued together every waking moment of the day with my arms holding her or playing with her in the floor.
 Maybe i can work on her liking the Ergo more.  She just has her own little mind and knows what she likes and doesn't like and makes sure we all know about it:)  But,I am thankful that our boys came because they love her and she has so much fun interacting with them as well.  I feel like it is a healthy way for her to still get the attentio
n she needs, but mommy gets a little break.  Also, I think the transition from hotel life in China as an only child to family life at home with two other brothers would be harder for both her and boys.  This way, at least our family will be consistent from the start.

Today, she wouldn't take a nap in the room, but she fell asleep in my arms in the taxi on the way to the store and stayed asleep with me holding her in my arms through  the whole shopping trip.  Sometimes taking the stroller is more trouble than it is worth if we he to take a taxi and are shopping. Usually she only tolerates the stroller if we are outside.

Well, we are all getting hungry and are about to go next door to the McDonalds that is by our hotel- The China Hotel Marriott.  The boys are so happy about American chicken nuggets and McFlurries! Kailyn LOVES the McFlurry As well:)


Tuesday August 5

Wouldn't you know, last night Kailyn slept straight through in the bed with me without even making her little fussy noises when she lightly wakens to get comfortable.  I on the other hand seem to have the stomach but that we are passing to each other- just some nausea, but between it and the construction going on last night outside the hotel, I hardly slept at all.  Now I am better, and this morning we took Kailyn to a medical checkup she has to have to get her visa.  Thankfully- no shot were involved but the whole thing was still pretty traumatic for her- it reminds me of how Joseph used to react at his checkups:).   Sherry stayed at the hotel with the boys and they went swimming.  Andrew and I were able to also stop in a very nice shop where we picked up some souvenirs.

Kailyn is actually having a nap right now.  Andrew and sherry took the boys to the 7 Eleven for ice cream so that I could rest and she would nap.  She has so much fun when everyone is in the room that she just can't settle down.  Even when they left, I pretty much had to pretend to be asleep myself to get her to stop trying to play.  It worked!  She finally gave up and passed right out:)

I will tell you this little girl is Smart!  She mimics things we do and tries to figure things out.  For example, washing her hair is very traumatic.  But last night I tried a technique from the other adoption parenting book I read - the connected child- where you praise the child so quickly after giving them something to do that they don't like or might refuse that instead of reacting negatively, they respond to your praise and then will continue to want the praise you give them and they'll be more cooperative.  So last night when it was time to rinse her hair, I would pour a little water on the back of her head and before she could fuss I immediately started praising her and clapping my hands for her.  She loved it and smiled every time she was praised!  So we got through hair washing with only minimal drama.  Then she watched me wash David's hair, and she put her little hands on her head and started mimicking what I was doing with mine on David's hair.  Smart girl!

Here are a few other details want to remember about this trip and so I can tell Kailyn as much as I can about China one day:

Short flowey dresses worn with fancy high sandals are definitely the trend here.

Everywhere is crowded. Everywhere.  I don't think there's is a city in the US that has the population of their average size city.  Our guide Sara said that Nanchang is an average size city in China-6,000,000 people.  Oh, this is interesting- the Chinese characters for population literally mean "mouths to feed."  I can see why!

People live in apartment high rises and as you look out you'll see what appears to be as many people living in these complexes in a block's area as do in the town of Helena.

Laundry is hanging out of people's windows and balconies everywhere.  It is a normal sight.

The hotel rooms don't have microwaves, they give you a boiling pot.  This is actually good for us though- you can't drink the water so it makes it easier when it comes to making Kailyn's bottles and rice cereal.  Also, we brought packs of instant oatmeal and grits that we eat for lunch sometime.



No comments:

Post a Comment